PIER TO PEAK WALKABOUT IN THE DOWNTOWN VENTURA AREA!
JOIN THE GROUP WHEN/WHEREEVER YOU CAN/WANT…
Times given are my best guesstimate for movement between the stated destinations, including loitering time and may be adjusted slightly as needed throughout the day.
Someone in the lead group may post Messages here on where we are during the day, but you should be able to find us following close to the published schedule. Take a look at the Map Link in this posting to see what is described below!
HERE IS THE TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (latest and most correct):
(1) 10:30AM: Meet at the Downtown Ventura Public (free) Parking Structure: Exit the 101 on California Street and turn north. Turn right where California Street is closed to traffic and the Parking Structure will be on your left. We’ll meet in the alleyway on the north side of the Parking Structure by California Street. Lure’s Fish House and Ventura EBikes are nearby establishments.
(2) 10:50AM: We’ll walk south on California Street, jog left (east) on Harbor Blvd., then out onto the pier for a quick visit.
(3) 11:30AM: Leaving the pier, head straight north and take the Pedestrian Overpass over the 101 freeway, then go north on S. Ash Street to Thompson Blvd. Turn left (west) on Thompson and then spend the next hour and a half at your choice(s) of Spencer Makenzie’s, Leashless Brewing, The Barrel House, The Habit, etc…
*** PLAN TO BE BACK AT THE START BY 1:20PM!!! ***
Timing for the next segment is somewhat critical…
We’ will depart for “The Ventura Cross” no later than 1:30PM!
(4) 1:30PM (sharp): We’ll walk to the top of California Street, jog right (east) on Poli Street, then left to The Botanical Gardens Parking Lot where we’ll take the meandering dirt path up to Brakey Road.
There is an Admission Fee of $7 to hike up through the Botanical Gardens. If you’ve never done this, I highly recommend it!
ALTERNATIVELY, you can save your $7 by going left (West) on Poli from the top of California Street and taking Brakey Road up to The Ventura Cross from there.
Either way, at the top we’ll turn left (west) on Brakey Road and find our way to The Ventura Cross.
(5) 2:15PM: We’ll depart The Cross. You can take Ferro Drive, or some great dirt shortcuts that intersect Ferro Drive on the way back down to Poli Street, or simply retrace the way you came up.
Whichever route you take, just keep heading toward the beach until you hit Main Street.
(6) It will be nearly 3:00 by now and “The Ventura Walkabout” portion of the day concludes here. Those who are participating in the “The Winter Wine Walk” and checking in at Winchesters can walk east on Main for the 3:00PM-3:30PM suggested Check-In time, noting that the actual Wine Walk starts (officially) at 4PM. Those starting at the museum will head west on Main Street. You can do The Wine Walk for free (most will do this) but you won’t get free tastings!
Take a look at our published event for The Wine Walk: